One of the great features of the cloud version of Soup Mail is the ability to sync Soup Mail folders with your email account. This means that you can:
- Drag-and-drop emails to Soup Mail folders within your mail client - and they will be saved to Soup Mail
- Directly open saved emails from within your mail client. This feature is great for users who frequently go off-line or who are using a mail client other than Outlook (e.g. Mac users).
Instructions to enable Soup Mail sync folders
Please do the following to connect your mailbox to our sync service:
- Browse to go.soupmail.com and log into the Soup Mail web application
- Click Settings from the navigation ribbon, then on the Mailbox tab within the Settings page
- Choose "Enabled" from the Mailbox Sync drop-down
- Choose your mail server type, e.g. Exchange (which also applies to Office 365 accounts) or IMAP
- Enter your email address (if impersonation is not setup for your account) and the password for your email account (this is your Outlook/mail account username and password, NOT your Soup Mail details)
- Enter your Username (email address) and outlook.office365.com in the HOST field within the "Advanced" form.
- Click "Connect". This will now connect your mail account to Soup Mail and you will see a folder called "Soup Mail | <Company Name>" in your mail account in Outlook/OWA/your email client. Soup Mail folders that you "favourite" will appear under this folder. You can favourite folders by clicking the Star icon beside a folder name anywhere in Soup Mail.
- Note that it may fail the first time, for example if your mail server is configured to use your domain account rather than your email address as the user name. When it fails, you'll be able to review advanced settings. Common issues are:
- [Exchange users] Your email username may need to be your domain account, not your email address: Try entering your domain account name in the username field in the following format: <companydomain>\<username> e.g (MOJOSOUP\david.lockie)
- Your mail server host may not be correct - Soup Mail uses auto-discover but it may not get the right details: Check what's in the host field, and make sure it matches what you have in Outlook or your smartphone for your email account.
- You can now drag-and-drop emails to your favourited folders under the "Soup Mail | <Company Name>" folder, and they'll be saved to Soup Mail. Note: It could take anywhere from 5mins to 1hr to sync your emails depending on where the background sync process is up to.
- You can also make use of inbox rules to automatically save emails to Soup Mail folders, if you wish.
If you get stuck, compare your settings with a colleague who has connected, or drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll give you a hand.
Note: Within the Soup Mail online app settings, you'll see Sync settings - adjust these as desired:
- Number of days to sync [0-99 days]: this sets the bounds of a rolling "window" of time. Emails in Soup Mail that fall in this window will be synced back to your Sync Folders, so you have them available in your mailbox in case you're offline, or want to access them directly in your email app. We recommend about 14 days, unless you're often out of internet range and need a longer period of email available in your mailbox.
- Folders to sync [Favourites only | Favourites only (self-explanatory), or Favourites and any folders that you've recently saved emails to using the Outlook add-in. This is a convenience because typically if you're saving an email to a Soup Mail folder, we figure you probably want it in your mailbox too, even if you haven't said it's a 'favourite'